Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pre-School Saga

2 Jan 2011 marks a new beginning for Justyn. It is his first day in school! I was the one that was getting the jitters and was praying very hard that he will enjoy himself in school. I have been pre-advised by most of my mummy friends to just say "bye" and leave the school premise so that Justyn will adjust to "life without mummy".

Thus I was pleasantly surprised when I waved bye-bye, Justyn actually waved bye-bye to me without crying! But I think that was my biggest mistake!

Cos at about 4 plus in the afternoon, I received a call from the principal. Apparently, Justyn was the only child in his class that the teachers had a hard time pacifying! He had actually used a wooden hammer to hit an 18-month girl (later I found out that it was because the girl tried to snatch the hammer from him)! But still, what an eventful first day that was! And because of that, the principle advised me to stay in the class for his 2nd day in school. And I dutifully did that. Thank God that the girl was alright and that her parents were ok too.

The 2nd day went by alright. However, on the 3rd day, when I waved bye-bye to Justyn, he cried for more than an hour. My heart wrenched and I was so tempted to go back into the class and pacify him. However, the same scenerio was repeated throughout the class as all of Justyn's classmates were taking turns to cry, one after the other.

However, the most amazing thing happened! When all the parents eventually left the school premise, all the children stopped crying!!! So this crying-parting scene went on for about close to 2 weeks. And by his 9th day in school, Justyn waved bye-bye to me without crying!

All parents will go through this phase but stay true to what is best for the kid. Assure them of your love, waved bye-bye to them and promised them that you will be back to pick them up and slowly but surely, the child will understand the routine and be well settled in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment